Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Learning 2.0

Last year I suddenly decided that it's time to go back to school and finish MLIS. The idea itself of going back to school is not new but its been placed in the backburner for so long that I ended up stressing myself. It turned out that there was really nothing to stress about. Its just a continuation of what I do everyday, that is learning... only this time I get something back other than the knowledge gained, the satisfaction that I am doing it. I consider myself at the 1.0 phase though I can manage to navigate my way in creating a blog, I would really love to get myself up to speed before we move on to 3.0 or 4.0

For a while there I forgot what was to me second nature... viewing problems as challenges. But only for a while. Like most people, I like having a goal in mind... the way towards that goal can be straight and narrow or it can be winding and full of detours. I've always believed that every moment we have is a learning moment. At times we probably don't notice any of that learning happening, but it does happen. The next time something similar happens, we know exactly what to do, how to act, sometimes even surprising ourselves for doing the right thing. Listening to the lecture on the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners I was amazed at how easily we take for granted simple things that can make life easier and fun.

The human brain is a curiosity to me. It keeps goings no matter what accumulating information, enabling us to learn new things, pushing us to do more... as long as a person lives, there will always be learning. Isn't it curious that man can live without a functioning heart (with the help of machines of course), but not without a brain?

3 comments:

  1. I made a mid-life career change to librarianship in 2003 as well. I love learning new things. I love your last sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on going for the masters! Your words give me courage - have been considering going after another masters, but that little voice keeps saying, "too old, too late, wrong time..." Your post has given me strength to tell it to be quiet, and let me think a bit more. I look forward to sharing more 2.0 experiences with you in the class. -Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting first post! Just checking in to see how the class is going -- hope you are able to work on some social bookmarking this week.

    ReplyDelete