Tuesday, March 17, 2009

RSS feeds

I was already subscribed to a few RSS feeds even before strating in this class, mostly news. I like it because it gives me a truncated version of what's new or if indeed something new has come up with the sites I like to follow. This way, I don't need to visit the sites if nothing new has been added or if what's been added is not really of interest to me.

I know a lot of libraries already use RSS feeds on their website. This is a great idea to let patrons know what's going on in their local libraries. Announcements for upcoming events can be sent via RSS feed and one need not worry of sending out too many notices because the patron have chosen to receive such notifications. Just like statistics, this is a way for libraries to monitor how many patrons are being reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment