Tuesday, March 17, 2009

wiki-ing my way to...?

Wikis... collaborative websites... Wikipedia. Hmmm...

I know there are more wikis (what is the plural form of this word? if it is a word) than Wikipedia, but I just wrote it down because this one seems to be the most widely used by almost everyone. Why? Because it contains information. Never mind that sometimes the information does not seem accurate, it can still provide you with a starting point with which to focus your research.

A wiki is a great tool that can be used for collaboration... at times, but not all the time. I say this because no matter how specific the community you've created (when it comes to access), and no matter how convenient using a wiki is because you don't even have to get up from where you're sitting, I still think face-to-face collaboration works the best.

I love my laptop and I love surfing the internet, but there is a certain formality in the way one communicates things over the net that is absent when people interact personally. I guess I'm old fashioned in that way. I like to see people's faces when they agree or disagree with each other because it gives you an idea on how they really feel about an issue. Not to mention I think face-to-face collaborations tend to draw more creative juices from each individual than merely posting it on the wiki.

I do so love technology, but I would not want to totally elliminate the people aspect of collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment